Monday, September 12, 2011

Review : Combination Microwave from Comet : Goodmans CB250B

Combination Microwave : Goodmans CB250B
Bought : Comet online for £52
Conclusion : very average as a combi microwave oven. Could buy better for a few $ more
Score : 5 out of 10

Update : I mentioned a 'door handle' problem, where the microwave would cook for a few minutes and then stop as if the door had been opened. After a few months this became intolerable. If you buy things from Comet online, they seem to suggest you take the item back to a store. I swapped mine for A Goodmans Combination Microwave oven model TCB20SG (plus £5 payment, since it was slightly dearer. Always check ebay comet-direct), which so far pleases me apart from the inside space size.

I bought the Goodmans CB250B combination microwave from comet recently, only available online for £52 plus free delivery in most cases. Overall there are no strong complaints for the price. I usually use these ovens mostly for the convection oven. I have had 3 before that all have broke within 3 years (2 around a year, the other in 3 years). I would guess if you bought a dearer model it may be worthwhile buying the insurance.

Comments :

Measurements :
internal oven space (including overhead exposed grill)
31cm wide, 34cm long, 20cm high
roller plate size : 27cm

Outside measurements :
48cm wide, 40cm long, 28cm high

No bulky protruding shape at the back

Convection : oven heat comes from above, which for me makes it difficult to spread the heat to underneath. Maybe I haven't learnt how to cook right. Top is always likely to burn whilst underneath is undercooked. Temp goes from 110 to 200 degrees but feels a lot hotter than my old microwave combi which said it could go to 230 degrees. Maybe it spreads the heat around the oven more efficiently.

Grill : is exposed above. No problem apart from cleaning. I guess newer designs will not have the grills exposed.

Noise : makes a lot of trundling sounds. I think it's mostly the fan at the back. Also I guess the wheels of the turntable. Quite noisy
Beeps : Makes beeps all the time when you do any action (turn jog wheel etc). For me this drives me crazy. I guess most people won't mind. Although not too loud, still too loud.

Size : Reasonably small on the outside, but internally still seems small despite claiming 25L space. It has an exposed grill on top which limits height further. Fits a standard 7 inch pizza in it but not a full size pizza tray. Can fit a standard plate in it. I thought the oven would be clumsily bulky at the back but it is not.

Controls : Probably would have some difficulty to understand the controls if I didn't have the instruction book but once you know it is very easy. Start button is on the jogdial. Instruction sheet was easy to follow but not very detailed on nuances etc.

Conclusion :
very average for the price and fine at the basics but not an ideal choice. I would hope there was a better alternative within a £10 range.

Undercooked food : I found that since the convection oven element is overhead and at only at the far-end, and that the overhaed grill is around the side, that it was leaving a 'cold spot' in the middle, leaving me with food undercooked in the middle (especially pizza). My solution at the moment to this is a roast rack. Unfortunately there is only enough room for small racks which are quite hard to find. I picked a Swift Roasting Rack 23 x 16 cm, bought through Amazon.

Swift Rack in Asda non-stick roaster

My Ideal Combination microwave :
Would have lots of internal space.
32-35cm rollerplate space.
Oven heat from the side ?
Hidden grill.






Update ... 21 Sept 11 :
Door problem ... I am finding that although the door always shuts, it often doesn't shut quite enough to satisfy the safety sensor, meaning it looks like it is cooking to me but in reality the heat hasn't switched on. I need to shut it slightly more forcibly and check the turntable is rotating. Don't know if this is a design fault or bad luck. At the moment I will presume bad luck. I foolishly think I can cope with this minor annoyance but I am guessing over time I will regret it and may need to return it before the guarantee expires.

Update 2 ...  22 Oct :
Door becoming a bigger problem but I have decided to persevere. Re the overall ability of the microwave, I only really use it for the conventional oven, but like many of the combi microwaves it has the heat element above and the main elements are only at the farside, meaning I often undercook and especially in the middle. I wouldn't recmommend it as a combi oven other than if you are skint and desperate.

No comments: