Sunday, September 8, 2013

Review : Mini-stepper exercise machine

Review of mini-stepper exercise machine
Brand : One Body (A 'Tesco' UK brand, I believe)
Cost : £23/$35 (I presume it was on sale)
Marks out of 10 : 6
Marks out of 10 for price : 8

Updates ...
Read more... Update (Nov 13) : Tension adjuster quickly decreasing in tension : I mention that the tension quickly decreases as you workout as the 'nut' turns anti-clockwise as you use it. I bought an extra nut of the same size to fit the tension adjuster bolt in the hope it can stop it from 'unwinding'. So far it seems to be working, and has stopped the tension unwinding while in use

Update : Aug 2015
Cable wheel broke but probably my fault. The cable wheel snapped in 2. I think it was due to me adding an extra nut to the mechanism which caused too much strain on the cable pulley. So probably my fault.

Update Aug 2015
The step counters are often hard to read due to location or light, or they miss steps, so I now use a tap counter app on my phone. I use free TAP COUNTER by WHIZZBANG on my ANDROID phone. Link to app

Tip : read/watch a tablet/phone while stepping to pass the time

Battery : This stepper uses an AG13/357 battery. See below for further details.

Summary : I think a mini stepper exercise machine is a good addition in a house with little storage as you are likely to keep using it as a 'walking/climbing' exercise and it take up little space and makes little noise.

Mine is a side swing stepper with computer and bungee cords to exercise the upper body. Basic cheapest models are not side swing and usually do not have bungee cords (or presumably bungee cord connectors).

Maximum weight for use of this stepper :  100kg

The stepper is a bit like walking up a slight hill, with all the pressure on the front foot. On my model the computer estimates I am using roughly 1 calorie (4.2 kj) per step at a rate of around 48 steps per minute. I have had this stepper for 2 months and used it almost every day.


Computer : The computer is a great addition. It works on a button battery. It include step-counter, calorie counter, steps per minute, time taken in seconds. It auto starts-stops when you start-stop. One annoyance is that when the 'resistance' is low you need to make sure the step counter sensor is passed or it will not count the step. This is not a problem if you always hit the back stoppers but if you don't it may miss some steps.


Workout suggestions : I would say you will work up a good sweat from around 300 steps upwards. Currently I am doing 1250 steps a day in one session and am dripping with sweat. Another way to workout would be to break up the sessions into groups of say 250 steps. It can put a strain on the front feet after much training. Perhaps if that happens it's best to break up the sessions into smaller amounts.

Steps per minute : I find I usually go at around 48-50 steps a minute or 54 if I am 'rushing'.

Resistance control : This stepper has a  ut and screw which is supposed to vary the resistance or height. The manual implies there are separate controls for height and resistance but I can only see one control knob which does seem to vary both. Major Annoyance : however, as you 'step', the 'control' (which is really a nut on a screw) tends to unwind taking you to the least resistance and height. Hopefully I can fix this (perhaps with another locking bolt).    

Safety : Obviously you have to make sure you are not beyond the maximum weight for the stepper. The steppers in this model are hydraulic pumps. It will also take a few goes to be totally aware of all the ways you could 'fall over/off", like putting your feet too far back or sliding them off the side. After a while you adjust to the 'falling off' dangers.  

Initial major problem : The black washers around the main pivots on both steps were rubbing, causing black powder to form which greatly dirtied my carpet. Also this caused the machine to be very squeakily noisy during initial use. After lubricating every joint, I found that lubricating the main pivots on the steps where the black washers are solved both these problems. I guess there was no need to lubricate every other joint though I may be wrong.

Bungee cord connectors : On my model I have bungee cords so I can workout my upper body with some resistance at the same as stepping. Basic models do not have bungee cords (not sure if they have the connectors fixed on the mini-steppers either. You would need to check). The cords have their uses I guess. I also sometimes carry small weights on the machine.

Storage : I have bought a few exercise things in the past which cause major storage headaches, but this is pretty small and can be stored easily. For example under a bed. Mine weighs about 6.5kg so is easy to move.

Use it anywhere : You can really use this anywhere, e.g. watching TV, in the kitchen. You can use it on a carpet though I prefer on a hard surface so that less force is lost.

Resale value : I would guess I could sell mine to a 2nd hand shop for £10. Not much but it didn't cost much. Perhaps you could get £20 selling it yourself. I'm guessing it is unlikely to break and can take a lot of use.

Changing the battery :  This is relatively simple when you know how. Pull the 'computer' slightly towards you using the 2 sides on the computer, but not too far as it is joined to wires ! It would be better if the power was from a solar panel. I use a screwdriver to push the battery out of it's place (possibly not the best way to remove it). See further down for more on the battery.

Annoyances : 
Initially it squeaked and shed a black powder on my carpet. As mentioned above this was solved by lubricating where the black washers are located on the main pivots of both steppers.

Some repetitive strain on front feet : The weight seems to be always on the front of the feet (which may in fact be a better exercise than the weight being evenly spread over the foot ?) but I find when wearing my jogging trainers it can be uncomfy on the front feet after about 1,000 steps. I will see how this goes over time. Mine is also a side swing stepper, though there is not much side swing. Perhaps this causes discomfort over long sessions.

Resistance control knob unwinds during use : If you set it to maximum, it quickly unwinds during use. This is annoying. I'm hoping I can solve this over time, such as using an extra nut as a locking nut.

When resistance is at minimum, you may not go far enough for the step counter sensor to note it. If you always hit the back stoppers, this will likely not be an issue.

No backlight : You can't read the computer in low/dark light. Would have been nice if it had a backlight so you can see how you were doing in the dark.


AG 13/357 battery
Battery and battery life : It uses a AG13/357 battery. You should find these cheap in mixed 'button battery' packs in shops like Poundland etc. Usually you will get 30 in a pack, but only 5 will be AG13/357. I am disappointed in the battery life. I would say I've only done 20,000 steps in 6 months. You can tell it is draining as it is hard to see (it fades) until it eventually acts strange. I use a screwdriver to push the battery out.

Men : make sure your feet fit ! I have noticed some other models have very small feet space, probably thinking only women will buy them. This model has a lot of foot space so is ok for big feet, but I guess you need to check with each model if you have big feet.

Conclusion :  Overall I think this is a good addition to any house (especially low storage space houses) as an exerciser as you are likely to keep using it and if you don't you can probably sell it on for not much less than you bought it for. Also it's relatively cheap and can be used on any flat surface without making a noise. The annoyances are bearable ( and perhaps fixable). Perhaps over time it becomes important the stepper anatomy action is like as you use it continuously. A bit like how you can bear an uncomfy saddle on a bike for short distances.  

No comments: