Friday, November 29, 2013

Review : Owl micro wireless electricity energy monitor

Review :  Wireless micro electricity energy monitor (an Owl energy monitor)
Cost : £25 at the time (about 5 years ago)
Marks out of 10 for value (this model and my price) : 10
Marks out of 10 for this model (an older model) : 10
Marks out of ten for the concept of wireless electricity energy monitors : 10

Note : Every home should have an electricity energy monitor of some sort. Preferably wireless with it's own monitor (i.e. you don't need a computer). I think a gas energy monitor would be good too, but I don't know if these exist or are practical for home use.


What you get (if it's a 'micro' energy monitor) :
The monitor (mine requires 2 AAA batteries)
Transmitter (mine requires 2 AAA batteries) with connecting clip (which you clip around the live cable on the home electricity supply unit.)


The connecting clip presumably has a magnet around it, and when you clip it around the live cable, it causes the magnet to notice the electrical charge and this is then transmitted to the monitor.

You do not need any 'electrician' skills. The clip goes around the outside of the live cable (see video). You do not need to do anything to the cable (otherwise you would almost certainly meet instant death). Of course be careful not to damage the cable.

What cable should I connect it to  ? : It seems to need to be a 'live' cable (not 'neutral') at your electricity power unit box going to your house electricity meter . I have 2 'live' cables to choose from (see video).

Remember to put batteries in both the transmitter and the monitor (if same as mine)

And that's it ! you can now take your monitor anywhere from around up to 30m (so they say) from the transmitter and you should be able to see how much electricity you are using at any time. I presume the transmitter sends a signal to the monitor say every 12 seconds or perhaps slightly longer depending on the power of the batteries. My transmitter is also meant to show a red light signal when it transmits but I guess when the batteries drain it stops the red light to conserve the battery but still keeps working until batteries run dry.

What can you see with the micro electricity  monitor  ? :
Either real time use of electricity energy at anytime (in kilowatts) and also total amount used (you can reset this to zero)
or
realtime cost being consumed and total cost (can be reset to zero). For this you put in your tariff cost per KW. This cost will not include a standing charge. Personally I use it most on the first option (energy use), so I can see what electricity is being used real time.

Newer versions :
I see there are newer versions of the Owl micro monitor. There are also other brands and cheaper alternatives. The only thing I would say is absolutely necessary is that you get a micro monitor and transmitter with clip and that it can at least tell you the real time energy consumption (usually in kilowatts) and is reasonably sensitive (say to at least 10w, which I guess most will be).

Accuracy : Sometimes I think mine is slightly inaccurate within 20-30 watts of use but this may be to battery drain etc. On the whole I trust the reading and it seems to record most changes to what I expect (but not in the video, where I switched on a 20w bulb).

In my opinion, make sure whatever you buy, you don't need to do any electrical work etc. I don't understand why the government don't give these micro monitors to every household.

No comments: