Saturday, June 18, 2016

Zealot B5 Wireless Headphones : consumer review

Zealot B5 Headphones : a quick review.
Version/Model : doesn't say, but think it may be 2015 model.

Quick verdict :
Seems a good standard. Clear but bass bias. Thin earpads. Nice try by Zealot  but could be improved.


Note :
Quite hard to find spec on this headphone knowing which version it refers to. One major gripe in reviews is that it has a proprietry port for charging, but in this newer model it uses a micro-usb port (an improvement).  













Quick notes : 
Wireless (bluetooth). Can be wired (audio jack input).
Takes TF card (up to 16gb supported ?).
FM radio.
Pairs with any bluetooth device (probably).
Built-in Mic.
Currently around $40 on Amazon.
Meant to be a cheaper Chinese alternative to Sony MDR ?
Fullsize over ear


Positives :
Sounds decent quality to me. Certainly above the usual cheap standard.
Comfy.
Good for price.

Negatives :
Stressful cackling noise when power is run out.
Battery says 5-8 hours playtime. I expected more.
No auto-off function, so if you leave it on it drains the battery.
Earpads are very thin.
Bluetooth a bit too smart, seemingly checking connection per second.


My knowledge :
Very limited. My best headphones before this were entry level fullsize wired AKG.
Also don't have any top quality devices to connect with.
Had for about 4 weeks. Used about 5 hours, with longest time about 1 hour.
Audio :
Sounds good to me. Bassy, but very detailed. Certainly not the usual cheap standard.
For price very good sound quality ?
Were better sound than I expected for price.

 
2nd Quick Verdict : 
A good bluetooth headphone at the price for most people ?
For some reason I haven't warmed to them.
Minor annoyances.

Charging :
This version uses a micro-usb port to connect for charging. Not a proprietry port like in previous connections (I have seen many complaints in reviews)

To emphasise : LOOKS LIKE NEWER VERSIONS USE A MICRO-USB PORT (a good thing)

Audio jack :
Can also be wired via a 3.5mm audio jack input. One review said the sound was worse than in bluetooth (?). Can't confirm that.

Bluetooth :
Tech Specs (might vary on version ?) :
V3 and V4 been mentioned in literature. I suspect V4 in this version.
Seems to be no 'manual' button option to put in pairing mode.
I've had no problem with pairing so far, and devices mostly autoconnect once paired.
Other review says no NFC.

Functions :
FM Radio (not used).
Bluetooth (to any bluetooth device).
TF Card (up to 16gb  supported ?). microSD card.

Controls :
Volume control.
Mode control which doubles as track forward/back.
On/off switch (slide).
Phone button (press)

Design :
Can fold flat (ears facing same way).
Comfy head and ear padding.
Pretty lightweight (241g).
Metal adjusters.
Earpads are too thin.

Battery :
650mA storage (?).
Charges in about 1/2 - 1 hour (red light charging, off when charged).
Est. 6-8 hours playtime. Doesn't feel very long.  

Comments :
I have limited knowledge on headphones and have not used good quality ones, so have little to go on in comparison. To me the audio quality itself is decent (better than I thought for the price). It seems biased towards bass, and the detail is very clear (I can hear each instrument). But it still feels limited. Maybe because I have no quality audio devices. I use PC, tablet and smartphone. It defaults to low sound each time when switched off.

The controls could be more tactile. On/off button is a small slide button (I'd prefer press button). Volume and Mode/track buttons are separate rocker buttons. The TF card slot is above an ear, which seems an awkward position to me.

The bluetooth seems a bit too smart. It seems to check the connection per second or less, meaning if I am far away it can cut-out whereas with other headphones I get maybe a 10-15 second timezone to get back near. Sometimes music goes quick when I am moving around.

While the sound is good, perhaps due to me not having quality sound sources mean I am nowhere near fully utilising the sound quality. It always sounds a bit low to me. I can't get near distortion (presumably a good thing).

Minor annoyances :
The 'power is gone' noise is horrendous. It's like FM radio no-channel fuzz very loud, which can be a shock.
The bluetooth constant checking can be a nuisance if near the distance boundary.  Also it can cut out and quickly cut back in, but mostly the connection is good. 
If you leave the power on it stays on, meaning you use all the power.
The blue light is always on when in use.
When wearing but with no sound on, you can hear all noise from your surroundings as the earpads are so thin. Presumably when sound is on it has noise cancelling techonology (?). But I can still hear the fridge, for example.

Overall Verdict :
Seem great for the price but I haven't warmed to the headphones. Bu tthe sound quality sounds decent with a bass bias. Certainly better than cheap headphones or what I expected for the price (mine were £25). Perhaps I will grow to totally appreciate them. Will do for now but perhaps I will keep looking.

Links :
Zealot website : B5 Headphones 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this review mate!

Green Baron said...

I plan to do a video. Mixed feelings about them but the sound quality seems pretty good for me. Better than I expected. If you buy them feel free to let us know what you thought.